- 6 years ago
- Wedding: April 2012
I do not know when I came across the button bouquet. Who does with the way we all scan websites and look for ideas? All I know is that I was in love with buttons! And – Mr 10 thought it was cool and very us. So the button buying began – that and scanning all 36 pages of Etsy hits under button bouquet. My button bouquet will be a sea of buttons, so it was more important for me to get Mr. 10’s bout looking right first because it will be a focal point. (I refuse to try to spell out the impossible full length word-ok I will for searching purposes (boutonniere).) That and I might put some buttons on my feathery fascinator too.
Supplies: buttons, green floral wire (get the straight stuff not the coil – comes in packs of 30 for $1 at Walmart), floral tape, wire cutters
I got my buttons at a variety of craft stores and from my mom and loving friends. Just ask around and see if anyone has a button box that they don’t mind you picking through. Friends of friends let me peek through their buttons – people who were not all that crafty either.
This project is simple in theory – but takes a bit of working. The longest part (and the most fun) is picking out the buttons and getting the stacks the way you want. It helps to visualize to stack them. Do not worry about 2hole vs 4hole – any combo works. Then run the wire through the button holes, bend it, run it through the other button holes and wrap the end of the wire off. Wrap the wire in floral tape (if you want – I will for the bout, but not my bouquet because you won’t really see the stems). Arrange and wrap in more tape. I wrapped a pin with wire into the bout for permanence. (Here are step by step instructions I used to get the idea)
Try 1 – sucked. But I got the idea down. It was a bit harder to get them to stay together than I thought. This one was too “loose.” Honestly that was the hardest – getting the wires to sort of stay where I wanted.
A week later, maybe two, I had Try 2. You can see the pin in there – and where the pin was the bout was too top heavy so I had to take it apart and move it up. In the end this was a good thing because it resulted in a tighter bout and it’s more stable.
Mr. 10 didn’t like the flip to the right – so I flipped it to the left. To finalize it, I am going to wrap it in lime green (our color) ribbon. Now to finish up this bouquet! Here are the button “flowers” that I have put together already.