- 9 years ago
Let me begin by saying…I am not a crafty bride! But I do know what I want, and I have a family who helps me get there!
My family and I designed these invitations through much trial and error. I will spare you all the backstory, but it is on my blog if anyone is interested!
Here is the finished product:
And this is how we did it.
We create a rough mock-up with some paper we had around the house to figure out sizing. In order for the entire invitation to fit into an A7 envelope, we had to do some adjusting, but we got it perfectly.
Here are the sizes:
- Red paper: 15x7in
- Ivory invitation: 4.25×6.25in
- Gold paper behind invitation: 6.5×4.5in
- RSVP Postcard: 3.5x5in (very important to check USPS sizes!!!)
- Belly band width: 1.75in
- Band length: 11in
- Gold square (behind monogram): 2.5×2.5in
- Ivory square with monogram: 1mm smaller than gold square
- Ribbon length: 12in
I don’t have the measurements for the “We look forward to celebrating with you” card, but I think it was 3.5×3.5in.
My mom and sister went to our local printer with the idea and picked out the red and ivory paper from him. (The red paper is a very heavy cardstock and the ivory paper is a nice linen paper). We ordered the Antique Gold paper from PaperSource because our printer couldn’t get it in for the same price.
We figured out the wording for the invitation and RSVP postcard and took the wording, along with all the paper to our printer. We paid him to print the wording on the paper and cut ALL the paper to size. The cutting only cost us $14 and was a HUGE time-saver! And it all looked perfect.
We had all the pieces, just needed to assemble them.
First, we stamped. We bought some swirly stamps at Michaels and played with the layout. A lot. The final version is actually the same stamp, stamped at two different angles. We added embossing powder and a heat gun for that wonderfully raised ink. The “Love is Patient” line is also a stamp, found at Michaels.
We used double-sided tape to adhere all the pieces together. It worked much better than a glue stick or anything else we found. The stamping was the most tedious part – everything else was simple assembly!
We ordered A7 antique gold envelopes from PaperSource and the bigger ivory A9 envelopes from our printer.
It was a great project to work on with my whole family, and since there were many steps to the assembly process, everyone could get involved! I don’t have all the cost breakdown, but can come up with it if you need it. Please PM me if you have any questions!