- 5 years ago
- Wedding: August 2013
Sometimes, a girl just has to chop up some shoes. This is one of the pairs that came from my shoe-overordering of a few weeks ago. These heels surprised me, first in a bad way because those flowers on the front were wonkier and bigger than anticipated, but then in a good way because I loved the curve of the heel and the neutral blush color, and they fit really nicely. Today I finally got around to doing a little surgery on them. It’s not my first time taking a pair of scissors to some footwear, and I’m pleased with the much simplified result.
From top left –
1. Tools of the trade – our footwear victim, some scissors and an Xacto knife. I would later add a blunt paring knife.
2. Initial investigation reveals that the top layer of fabric isn’t securely attached. Suggests easy removal.
3. After a few fastening threads are snipped, the flower begins to unravel.
4. More unraveling shoes the fabric has a little slit in the center, where it has been turned inside-out on itself, like a little bow.
5. After a snip on the left, the fabric is open.
6. Two more snips leave only the sides still attached. I couldn’t just cut them because the raw edge would show, but I noticed the base wasn’t glued on very securely around the exterior.
7. Snipping closer, we examine the possibility of just tucking the excess fabric inside.
8. Fabric-tucking execution going smoothly.
9. Rinse and repeat.
I might add something to the front eventually, but if I do it will be much softer and simpler than the original detail.