- 6 years ago
- Wedding: October 2011
FI and I finally finished our Arch for our Beach Wedding Ceremony!!
There was lots of design changes a long the way.. some of it was blogged, some of it not. It was a lot of work and ended up spending around $250-$300. It’s in the budget at $300 because I bought things I didn’t use, but can’t return.. but the cost of materials didn’t make it physically to the arch. Original Discussion on my Arch was here. I saved about $150 doing it on my own… AND I get to sell it afterwards… which will give me more money. I was quoted $450 for a rental company to come set one up for me. I like saving $$ on decor for the wedding!! This thing is STURDY! It has a lot of L brackets, Bolts, Nuts, Glue. It its mechanically secured. The twine is for looks (and to cover up the bolts!)
The arch is in a few pieces. The sides of the arch make a rectangle, and is permanently a rectangle. So we have two sides. The sides are secured by the bottom supports and the top bamboo supports. The bottom supports are two pieces of 1 x 4s that have L brackets bolted to them. The bamboo slides over the L brackets to make a tight fit. In ONE corner, there is a braket that requires a screw. This really beefed up the system. So to set it up, you need to pack a single screw driver. The top supports are bamboo poles with holes drilled out. There is an exposed bolt that you slide the bamboo pole over. Then the fabric is sewed like a curtain to have two pockets that accept a wood dowel. The fabric is drapped across the top. You then secure the wood dowels by slipping them under the bottom wood supports. There is a semi circle cavity that is drilled out on the bottom side so that the wood dowels slide into the bottom support. The blue tape on the arch will be taken off.. but it’s there to help us assemble it correctly until we make discrete markings on some of the poles. They are labeled “A -B -C – D” etc so that we know the A pole belongs in the front.