- 7 years ago
- Wedding: May 1998
The layers are 2 or 3 Wilton cardboard cake rounds glued together (.50think). Used pretty wrapping paper sprayed glued to BOTH sides of the rounds. The paper had a pattern, so made sure that both sides of the round were going in the same direction. Wall paper would work too. Then ribbon around the edges.
Supports are Wilton clear, columns that can be filled, painted, whatever. I used rhinestone trim around the bottom edges, but that is super expensive.
I used flower pot feet (frogs) painted gold, but you could use any kind of knob or wooden block. The feet came from the frog store online.
The hardest part was lining up the columns from one layer to the next and getting the glue to stick. Used E600 and hot glue and neither one really worked well. The columns are ment to snap onto plastic cake rounds (also Wilton) but then you can’t cover them with paper or blend them in easily. So re-engineering might be needed. But you get the idea. This one held about 60 cupcakes and was refilled 2 by the staff. You could do 2 or make the layers bigger. You would need to buy more columns if it was larger.
You also need to make sure there is some kind of support under the center. I only had feet on the edges and it sagged. I got cheap blocks of wood to put under and you couldn’t see them. Save your michael’s coupons to buy the columns and I used JoAnn coupons to buy the rhinestones. Good Luck