- 6 years ago
- Wedding: November 2011
I desided to do these boxes because I was having troulbe with the traditional ring bearer pillow seeing that we are haveing two ring bearers in the wedding. after finding these boxes at michaels for $1.50 ea I thought it would be cute for the boys to have there own boxes. the boxes are natural wood which is nice but the covers are very flimsy and I did not want the boys to tear them, so I searched around micheals and in the scrap booking paper section found this berlap cloth used to cover the top,bottom and face of the boxes for $1.99 ea(only needed one sheet for two boxes but one sheet can make three boxes) not shown in the pics but I left the sides exposed so you do see some of the wood but the boys hands will cover it any how. if you did cover the side than one belap cloth will only cover 2 boxes. sorry I did not take pics while doing it but it was pretty simple.
1. I wrapped the berlap around the boxes before cutting it to see which way would be best and messured where I needed to cut.
2. after I cut the berlap I took my glue gun and start with the face end of the box under the opening. (sorry after cutting the berlap I carefuly took off the button and closure cord so I could wrap the berlap around the box) I glued each section one by one working fast cause the glue drys fast putting a 1/2 inch line of glue on the edge of each side then pressing down the berlap in place.
3. after wrapping the box I took my scissors and but the excess berlap from the edges don’t worry about frys this is why I trimed the box with brown ribbon I had already but also bought at micheals to give it a clean look.
4. I then made the mini pillow useing brown and ivory satin and pillow stuffing. this was simple I did a simple line stitch on the reverse side of the satin and left a small opening at the top. I di not remove to needle I reversed that too so when I pulled the satin threw the needle was in the right posission to close the pillow after stuffing it.
5. once my pillow was complete I took a different color ribbon to make a decoratvie feture one the pillow to hold the rings in place. I looped the ribbon in half sewing both open end in the center of the pillow bringing it trew the pillow to make an indent. I then pulled the ribbon over the pillow so it wraps completely around.
6. I used a hand whole punch to gentle put 2 whole in the berlap so I could put the closure cord back threw I did put a pre cut card board as seen between the pillow and face of the box that I glued in place to strengthen the face of the box which is the same flimsy wood as the opening. to finish the buttons i put hot glue on them and the dipped it in the same color glitter as the ribbon I used to wrap around the pillows. I hope you like please leave your comments if you have any questions don’t hesitate to ask.