- 8 years ago
- Wedding: November 2010
I started with a basic design I found online somewhere and played around in Paint with the frame and the monogram/writing until I found something I liked. I found that our aisle runne (standard width) was about four pieces of computer paper wide, so I set the printing options to spread the design out on 4 pieces x 4 pieces to enlarge it. I also used the printing settings in the program to take out the printing margins, which only left me with about 1/4″ margin for the paper. The design I picked was blue, and I left it that way for printing. After all 16 pieces were printed, I trimmed the small margins off and laid them out to make sure they were in the right order. I then taped my giant template together. The next step saved me a lot of time – I outlined the entire design with a black Sharpie. You can do this before or after you piece together your template. Because the design was blown up so much, the edges were really pixelated and it made it hard to see through the fabric and the wax paper, so the outline made a huge difference. Then, I taped the template to my mom’s kitchen table, followed by a layer of wax paper, followed by carfully laying the aisle runner over the design. We used a ruler to make sure the design was perfectly symmetrical and we taped the aisle runner to the table. The very end of the runner I just kind of puched under the table where it dropped down, and the main portion still on the roll I rested on a chair on the opposite side of the table. Make sure when you tape down your runner, you do it as snugly as possible – you’ll still probably have to press it down as your painting to see the lines better, though. Once I started painting, I realized it was easier to outline the pattern than to fill it in as I went. Once it was outlined, you didn’t really have to pay attention to the design underneath, and that made it easier for my Mom and FI to help me. Plus, I could use a bigger brush for the majority of the filling in which made it go quicker. I did the outline first and once it was complete dry, I did the L and then the text. A couple things I found to be very helpful – use wax paper underneath your paint bowl in case you drip, and also while you are working on one small area, cover the surrounding areas, especially where you rest your arm or hand, with more wax paper. This helped a ton. I let it completely dry and then I peeled it up. The paint will likely seep through and stick to the wax paper, which is why it should be there – it’s easier to pull the runner off wax paper than actual paper.
I used a fabric rayon ivory runner in a ‘french lace’ patter, acrylic craft paint and regular craft brushes (I believe synthetic). Let me know if you have any questions 🙂