- 8 years ago
- Wedding: November 2009
here is what i did for the DIY boutonnieres. i once again turned to the supply of sculpey i have had since college.
ahhh sculpey how i love thee. just roll out some long snakes and spiral them as long as you would like them to be.
i wanted the spirals to look like fiddlehead ferns (which i love) and match the spiral action we have going on everywhere else. i did double spirals for the groomsmen and single ones for the ushers and the little boys handing out programs.
after i baked them i painted them. according to sites online it says you should use liquid craft acrylic. i decided to try this using the paint i bought to paint on the kraft paper banners that i still need to make. the paint was joann fabrics brand and WAY too thin and would have taken like 5 coats to cover. i ended up mixing in some tube acrylic to thicken and coat better. i used sculpey to hold them standing up while they dried.
for the decoration on the boutonnieres i made some little orange bows to go with the ribbon that would be wrapped around the bottom (that ribbon is the same in all of the candles that will be in the centerpieces).
to make the bows (this was my first time doing these) i cut strips and then hot glued the ends together to make a circle. then i held the circle standing up using the tips of scissors for weight (since this would be easier with 2 sets of hands) so that i could put a dot of hot glue inside and glue 2 centers to each other. this made the bow area.
to make the little dangling parts on bows, i tied a loose knot then put the main bow part inside and then pulled the knot tight. this again, was because it was the easiest way to do it without a helper. once the knot was tight i pulled one of the bands down to be on the same side as the other to match. then just cut them on an angle. and voila!
how super cute is this thing!?!
i wrapped the bottoms of the spirals with the dotted ribbon, hot gluing it along the way. then i glued on the little ribbons. i also ran some plain white glue on the back just to keep it extra secure since i am paranoid about ribbon coming loose.
i think they turned out nice and brian likes them which means the most since he and his guys will be wearing them. i do wish they were shinier but the last time i made some to test i used gloss mod podge to coat them and it made them tacky when next to each other and pulled the paint off if 2 of them touched. so i left them flat just in case. you can’t mess around when it comes to making your own wedding DIY perfection.
and here is how they looked on the day of the wedding.
i did have to actually push the corsage pins through the ribbon in the back since they wouldn’t go through sculpey. i just made a hole and pushed the pin back and forth a bit so it would be easier to get in and out. i actually pinned them on the suits myself as the guys picked up their suits before the wedding so they wouldn’t mess it up trying to do it themselves on the actual day.