- 6 years ago
- Wedding: October 2012
My FI is actually the one that wanted to go the feather route with the boutonnieres — go figure! After doing some research together (mostly on Etsy) to find out what we liked we came up with a few things to focus on. First, we both really liked the Peacock feathers. Secondly, we both really liked what we started calling the “spotted” feathers. And finally, we both wanted there to be some kind of “meaningful” charm on them.
So with that in mind I decided that I could probably do this myself. Feather boutonnieres run about $16 each on Etsy and that is just not really affordable for us.
I bought *most* of my feathers on Ebay. I bought black Goose biot feathers (~$10 for 40), white Rooster feathers (~$3 for 100), purple Peacock feathers (~$6 for 10) and natural gray spotted Guinea feathers (~$6 for 80). We found metal charms at Michaels. They were $4.99 each (bought two different kinds — one for the dads and one for the groomsmen). I also purchased floral tape from Michaels which was not *incredibly* useful so this could probably be left out. I used left over purple card stock from my invites to glue them to. I also used left over purple satin ribbon from my invites to wrap them.
To start I cut a strip of card stock about 3/4″ wide and 2 1/2″ long. This was the base. I glued three white feathers to it. These were the “background” for the boutonniere. From there, I took a black biot feather and looped it. This was definitely the hardest part to get right. The feather didn’t want to stay looped so it had to be held in place while the glue was drying. Then came the Peacock feather. This was just a matter of positioning. And finally, I added two spotted Guinea feathers. Once the feathers had pretty much dried I sort of “semi-wrapped” the card stock around the feather bases. This was really just to get the “stem” of the boutonniere right. Then I wrapped the stem in floral tape. This was helpful as it held everything together but not really necessary. Then I wraped the whole stem in ribbon. I glued it down so that it would stay on it’s own. And finally, I glued the charm to the front.
I used E-6000 glue which worked really well.
And so… here they are!
We are really happy with how they turned out! They were a huge pain, though, I have to tell you!