- darling blackbird
- 8 years ago
- Wedding: May 2010
I was shocked when, after spending five hundred dollars on my wedding dress, I discovered that veils run anywhere from $30 to some ungodly amounts in the hundreds. I also discovered that I loved birdcage veils, but needed a smaller mesh than the usual netting to work with my dress the way I wanted it to.
I decide to make my own. The materials I purchase cost less than six dollars, and the test run was entirely free, as it used scraps I had from a bridesmaid’s gift from another wedding. My actual veil will be in ivory, and I plan to make a fascinator or to stitch on some silk flowers over the comb. For now, I just slipped a hairclip across the top.
This took about an hour to make. It’s actually just a test run, made with a scrap of tulle about 12×16 inches, a clear comb, and some thread. I wrapped the tulle around my head and figured out where I wanted to gather it. I then rounded the lower corners (the ones that will show). Next, I gathered the upper edge (without the rounded corner) by sewing a running stitch, going in and out abut every quarter inch, then pulling it tight. I then stitched the gathered portion to the comb. To do this, I laid a comb on the tulle, so that the edge of the tulle was along the smooth side (the one without teeth) of the comb, and along the outside of the comb. Next, I gathered the edges of tulle at each end of the comb and pulled them towards the center, then stiched and gathered them so that the met in the center of the comb, with the edges facing in, allowing the veil to lie close around my head.
Also, keep pinning and stitching until it has the shape you’d like.
I may make smaller birdcage veils for my flower girls, as they would look lovely on the sisters.