- 4 years ago
- Wedding: June 2014
I have been receiving quite a few messages with questions on how to make the centerpieces I recently did for our June wedding, so I decided to make a little tutorial to help out.
-Flower blossoms. I used fuchsia and white Phalaenopsis Orchids for mine, but I think just about any flower would work. I purchased the white ones at the Dollar Tree that were in bushes and the fuchsia from Afloral.com that were single stems. Unfortunately, the original and cheaper stem I was using went on closeout but they had another in the same color with slightly different blossoms that cost $8.69 a stem which I ended up using for the other half of the trees.
-Glue gun and glue sticks.
-Foam cubes at $1.00 each. These I also purchased from the Dollar Tree. I chose to use the white ones since I found them easier to conceal than the green.
-Crystal strands. Purchased mine from ebay in 9 meter lots, but they are pretty easy to find elsewhere as well.
-Clear acrylic ice/rocks (also bought on ebay).
-Vases. These I purchased from wholesaleflowersandsupplies.com for 5.99 each. They also have different sizes and are available in black as well.
-Branches. My dad cut ours and dipped each one in white paint that he had on hand. After he dipped them he hung them in the basement to allow them to dry.
First, cut the blossoms from the stems. If using orchids like these, be careful to not cut too close because the centers of them will sometimes detach and need to be glued back on. Next the foam cubes will need to be made a bit smaller since they are just a tad too big to squeeze into the vases. I cut off a bit from two sides and the top so that it would both fit into the vase and be low enough that the rocks could cover up the foam at the end without overflowing.
I then inserted the branch into the foam and coated the bottom of the vase with a lot of hot glue and quickly put the foam inside and pressed down firmly until it felt dried and secured enough to let go. Once the foam was secure, I also took hot glue to where the branch met the foam, making sure it would seep down inside to help hold it in place.
When the glue around the branch was dry and it no longer wiggled, I started gluing the orchids to the branches. My recommendation when doing this is to try to find small clusters of branches to attach them to, otherwise they tend to flop over or fall off. For most of the trees I used one stem of the fuchsia and one bush of the white, sometimes less with the slightly smaller ones. When done with the flowers, pull off the excess glue (there will be a lot of it hanging down by that point) and start adding the crystals.
At the end I added the acrylic rocks to the base to cover up the foam and set a blossom of both colors on top, and it’s complete! 🙂