- 8 years ago
- Wedding: August 2010
I have to give shoutouts to saraknafel and Mrs. Penguin for sharing their fabulous ideas, which I tweaked for our programs. I really wanted fan programs, but as per the norm, budget and time wouldn’t allow for it. I scoured the treasure trove of Weddingbee for inspiration, and ALAS, I found:
The hardest parts of our DIY project:
1) finding cardstock (local paper supply store carried a ream (250 sheets) of 11×17 in ivory for about $17). Legal size and larger cardstock can easily be found online but we wanted to finish our programs asap. Because of the size of paper we were using, we also had to find an office printer (went to FI’s dad’s work) to do all our printing. This could have been done at Kinko’s but we’re trying to keep the cost down.
2) figuring out the proper margins for our 5 page program. In the end we made our longest page (page 5) 12 inches, and the shortest page (page 1) 8 inches, with each page progressively an inch longer. All pages were 4 inches in width. This allowed for pages 1,2, and 3 to be printed 4/sheet of paper (horizontally). Pages 4 and 5 had to be printed 2/sheet (vertically) because of their length.
We used crafty scissors instead of making straight cuts so that we didn’t have to agonize on making all the pages perfectly aligned.
Then we used a 1/8mm hole punch on the bottom left corner. I found ivory nylon string from Walmart (about $3) for 150 yards. Much better deal to use this than the pertty ribbon for $1.25/yd that I was eyeing at Michaels, especially since we’re making about 75 programs.
These could be much fancier if we had more time and money, but it still has the same organic feel I wanted instead of the normal book style programs.
I hope our guests notice all our hard work!