- Ms. Palmetto
- 8 years ago
- Wedding: July 2010
here are the pics of the final product. I made 2 and one of my bridesmaids made 3. There were a few differences in construction, since we are 700 miles apart! But the overall look was exactly what I was going for.
Started out with about 5-7yds for each dress, depending on the size of the girl.
Created a band that was the empire waist, fitted just under the bustline and armpits. This was like the anchor for the dress, all other pieces were sewn to it. On the finished dress, mine folded down, the way my bridesmaid made the other dresses, hers folded up.
2 6ft strips (longer for the taller girls, a bit shorter for my one 4’11” bridesmaid. I stiched them together as you can see here. The other dresses created by my bridesmaid -she actually doubled the fabric width and folded it, so it had right sides on either side. Mine had cups and liners to give a little more definition.
I had to go back several times to adjust the neckline. I ended up cutting a larger width for the bottom of the bodice about 11″ wide, and tapering the straps down to 5″ at the end. This provided coverage up front and less bulk when wrapping/twisting the straps. It would have been a whole lot easier to do what my bridesmaid did with hers, just over lap the straps at an angle to one another and sew to the band. :-/
I bonded the hem along the bottom of the skirt then put a straight stitch in. It gave the dresses an nice clean look.
All a little different, but so beautiful!
back of the infinity dress. It can be worn lots of ways, but all the girls seemed to like this style.