- Mrs. Bunny
- 9 years ago
- Wedding: July 2009 - Everal Barn, Westerville
I designed my STDs to look like handwritten vintage postcards using the trial version of Adobe InDesign.
After downloading and installing InDesign on my MacBook, I started by creating a new 6″ x 4″ document.
The program automatically converts inches into picas (that’s the “p” you see in the box there).
Now you should have this:
I used the line tool (sixth button from the top on the left toolbar)to draw a line down the center of the postcard. See that box at the topof the screen that says 1 pt? That’s the thickness of the line.Currently, the line is 1 point thick. If you want a thicker or thinnerline, just increase or decrease the number in that box.
Next, I went online in search of some sweet vintage-looking fonts on 1001 Free Fonts.
My first find was Calamity Jane. I installed it and started working on the ‘Save the Date’ logo for the top of the card:
The little “T” button on the left allows you to create text boxes.The logo for the top of the card is made of three separate text boxesbecause it’s easier to position the text exactly how you want it inrelation to each other if each word is in its own box.
But then I ran into a problem. Calamity Jane in all caps is nearlyunreadable, and I wanted to have the flexibility to use all caps forthe text at the top of the card.
Instead, I ended up choosing Nickelodeon, another font from 1001 Free Fonts, for the card text.
Next, I found a nice handwriting font for the message. I used Popsies.
I made another small text box where the stamp will go. I’m not evensure why I did this, because I’ll probably be the only one who will seethem! Oh well. I think they’re cute!
It’s just another text box, except I used this handy tool:
The stroke button on the right side of the screen. It allows me tochange the width and style of the text box outline. Mine is a 1 picaThick-Thin outline.
I was pretty much done, but I thought the top of the card looked alittle plain, so I went hunting for a vintage-y flourish to put at thetop underneath the logo. I downloaded Dividers and Dividers II dingsfrom House of Lime. They work just like fonts. I drew a text box and picked out a ding I liked.
Ta-da! The completed backside of the STD.
I’ll show you the fronts soon!
(To check out the original post, click here.)