- Mrs. Gloss
- 9 years ago
Due to an ice storm, my Christmas day was super productive since I couldn’t leave my parents’ house! I started and finished our STDs this past Christmas.I had posted previously about the concept here, and the design didn’t really change at all before we were finished – we just made a few font modifications, and the design was slightly elongated to fit the envelopes.
- 3 sheets 30×42 4-ply museum board ~ $15 each
- Gocco ink – red, black, white ~ $5 each (but there is tons leftover)
- Navy envelopes ~$30 for 100 (including shipping)
- 7 sheets computer paper
- 1.5 rolls of permanent adhesive for the 1.5″ Xyron ~ $10ish
- Roll of magnet strip ~ $6
- Designed in Illustrator
- Laser cutter w/ AutoCAD template
- Gocco machine
- Printer & photocopier
- 1.5″ Xyron machine
After creating the design in Illustrator, I created a template in AutoCAD to maximize the number of cards I could get from one 15″x21″ sheet (4 small sheets per large sheet to fit on the laser cutter bed). I decided to cut the anchor out as well, so I vectorized an image in Illustrator, and exported it as an .EPS to import into AutoCAD.
I cut down the large sizes of Museum Board to fit the bed and watched the laser cutter do its magic! Unfortunately I decided to do this during my lunch break and did not have my camera with me, but this is generally what was going on:
And then I had almost 80 of these : (We cut the mirror image to ensure that if there was any burning, it would be on the reverse side.)
I next burned the images onto Gocco screens. I burned two screens, each with two items to be printed, for a total of 4 prints per invite (my parents thought I was crazy). After the invites were printed (on a ink-jet printer) I photocopied them (necessary since it’s carbon that burns the screens).
Screen #1: “the remove and remember” on the side actually got printed on the back of the invite – I used the ’Ink Blocker’ to prevent any ink from seeping onto the other section.
Screen #2: This screen is basically split in half, the left half was printed first, and the right printed second, on top of the first.
After the first round of printing:
I forgot to take a pic of the print for the light gray compass rose before I printed the next layer on. The 3rd and 4th rounds of printing got quite messy, and I ended up cutting the Gocco screens so that the ink from the first round of printing would not print again.
Almost done! I added a piece of magnet to the back of each for fridge hanging.
Mess of Gocco screens and little anchors:
The envelopes I ordered from Envelope Mall -Carnival 4-1/8 x 9-1/2″, (No 10 Policy) in Deep Blue. They have a small flap that opens on the end:
I made 1.5″ labels in Illustrator with our guests’ addresses, and cut them with my paper cutter. I also added a small rope graphic which wraps the label. I ran these through the Xyron and stuck them on, a la Martha style!
Et voila! The completed STD :
And here they are en masse, ready to be mailed! Bonus – they weighed exactly 1 oz., meaning I didn’t need a special stamp!
(To check out this post, click here.)