- Mrs. Star
- 9 years ago
- Wedding: October 2009 - Ceremony: The Kraine Theatre, Reception: Midtown Loft & Terrace
I got several requests for a DIY tutorial for our boutonnieres and so I figured that I’d do my best to oblige, despite my initial reluctance, because, to be honest, they were mostly trial-and-error! Unfortunately, I don’t have any pictures of the process, since I didn’t know I’d be blogging about them at the time, but I’ve tried to be as specific as I can be in my descriptions. And honestly, if I was able to pull this off, anyone can!
To start off, I’ll recap my supplies list:
- Purple 3/8″ satin ribbon
- Guinea feathers (I ended up using 12)
- Miniature silk camellias, about 1″ across (18)
- Black beaded rose
- Silver pin backings
Also some things I already had in my supplies:
- Purple cardstock
- Polka dot satin ribbon 3/8″ (from another wedding project to be posted soon!)
- Hot glue and gun
- Tacky glue
- Scissors, of course
- Thread or string
To start off, I should probably warn you all that I am the Queen of Hot Glue. If something isn’t working, I just bust out my hot glue, and there isn’t much that I can’t do! I hope you all share my hot glue love, if not my hot glue blisters. I’ve included a close-up picture of one of the boutonnieres for reference:
First off, I set about arranging the flowers. I cut all the stems to be separate and removed the leaves. After that, I basically just pushed the flowers around until I could see all three and I thought they looked nice together. My plan was to just hot glue them together at this point and then wrap the ribbon around. This, however, was where I ran into my first snafu: the flower stems were so thin and so plastic that they melted when I tried to hot glue them together.
So instead, I tied the three stems together with thread and used tacky glue to anchor the stems to a little piece of cardstock I cut out that was oval-shaped and about 2″ long and 1/2″ wide. This way, I was able to create something to hot glue to, which was important to me because (besides the fact that I love hot glue!) hot glue dries much more quickly than tacky glue, making it easier to create aesthetically-pleasing arrangements!
Next up, I wrapped the ribbon around the stems/cardstock. I started by using hot glue to attach the end of the ribbon to the top of the cardstock and wrapped as carefully as I could all the way down the stems and back up, using glue every few wraps as I went (I think two layers of wrapping looks cleaner). NOTE: At this point, I did not cut the other end of the ribbon; I just hot glued it at the top again and left the other end still hanging.
Then I wanted to attach the feathers. Guinea feathers often have a lot of fuzzy grayness at the bottom and I thought that made our bouts messier looking, so I cut off all the fuzzy part first. Then, I hot glued two of feather shafts and one of the leaves to the back of the ribbon-wrapped cardstock. This is why I didn’t cut the end of the ribbon: because at this point, I wrapped the ribbon around the bouts a few more times to cover the feather shafts and leaf stem, and then hot glued the end down in the back and snipped the extra off.
I was planning on leaving them as-is at that point, but they still looked like they needed a little something. So, I used a bit of leftover polka dot ribbon from our table number project (post coming soon!) to make little bows. I just tied a piece of ribbon that was about 10″ long in the same way that I would tie my shoelaces, and wiggled the last loop a bit before I tightened the bow all the way, that way both loops had the polka dots facing out! For Mr. Star’s bout, I simply hot glued the beaded rose in front of the feathers to give it a little added pizazz.
Let me know if you still have questions! Like I said, it was mostly trial-and-error, patience, and hot glue!
To read the original post, click HERE.