- Mrs. Avocado
- 9 years ago
- Wedding: October 2018 - LDS Seattle Temple & Hotel 1000
I knew the belly bands on our invites had to have a button. I didn’t know what they would be made of, but the button was essential. We thought about sewing the wrap out of fabric. Did I want to do this 275 times? Fabric gone. We thought about creating dangling strings of buttons. Did I want to do this 275 times? Hanging buttons gone.
Mamacado comes home from Paper Zone with some crazy textured paper. The Avocado belly bands are born.
These sheets are huge. I was able to make 33 12″X2″ bands. I tried cutting them, but as you can see, the edges have a beautiful frayed effect. I wanted all of the edges to look like this.
As with all of the Avocado DIY projects, I thought of a solution in my head, and just charged right in. I can get a little impatient sometimes, so once I come up with a way I think something can be done, I will usually charge through without stopping until it happens.I decided I would rip the paper when wet, with the hope it would have the frayed edges I wanted it to have. I used the vinegar dropper that my mom uses when she makes salad dressing to put the water down.
I put the first strip of water down, and it looked pretty good. I was going to be able to rip that just fine.
I started to do more strips and realized that the plan wasn’t working quite as well as I thought. The paper was so thin, and the water was coming out of the eyedropper so fast, that the whole sheet was basically soaked after a few strips.
Like I said, I don’t like to stop a project once I start, so I just kept going. I did about half of the huge sheet before I had a new idea. I would fold the paper over on top of itself in 2 inch sections and help disperse the water a little bit more evenly.
I used the dropper to wet the edges to make sure they would rip easily.
I then unfolded each 2″ section one at a time and ripped it carefully off. Or sometimes not so carefully. I got a little impatient after a while. Sorry to those guests that got those strips!
I laid all 275 strips out and let they dry overnight. Once all of the booklets were assembled I took the belly bands, wrapped them around the books to know where to glue, and used super glue to apply the button.
To read the original post, click HERE.