- Mrs. Green Tea
- 8 years ago
- Wedding: August 2008 - Vineyard on the Delta
Since I suck at card making, I decided to craft something different to send out as Valentines. Using materials I had lying around, I made these little magnets. They were quite fun to make, and I’m so glad they turned out! Here’s how I did it:
1. Paint 3/4″ wooden hearts yellow, let dry.
2. Paint black stripes using the trusty Sharpie, let dry.
3. Paint a coat of sparkle glaze to add glitter and shine, let dry.
4. Cut 4 pieces of ’wings’ out of sparkly ivory tulle for each magnet the same size as the wooden hearts.
5. Stack them in twos and overlap them as shown to make the pair of wings.
6. Place wings on bee body and line them up at the tip as shown. Add a dab of tacky glue at the tip.
7. Top it off with a ’head’ of your choice. I used a piece of my cold black heart (black metal heart bead).
8. Using gold beading wires (I had to quadruple it up because they were so thin), I attached the flower bead as shown. Curl the opposite end of the wires to fit inside the magnet.
9. Placing the curled wire on top of the magnet, I added a good dab of tacky glue.
10. Press the bee on top of the glue (see right pic for back view).
11. You can use those mini craft C-clamps to keep it all in place ’til the glue dries. In the ghetto we just sit on ’em like this:
With the Valentines, I included a homemade sweet treat – Love Bark (which is like Rice Krispies Treats on crack. Really, really good crack). I can’t get them to look half as appealing as they taste, but dayam they taste like heaven. I also printed a little ingredients list with it (in case recipients have allergies).
I printed the ’BEE MINE’ pattern on a piece of vellum and wrapped everything up in it with some twine, then finished it off with those recycled tags I made.
And off they went to be delivered.
Added bonus: here’s the closest thing to a bee ’fit you’ll ever find me in.
Hope you’re having a happy Valentines week!
(To check out the original post, click here.)