- 6 years ago
- Wedding: September 2011
For most of the vendors that helped out with my wedding I did my research online, took recommendations via word of mouth and interviewed two before choosing. It didn’t work out that way for the florist…
I took a day off of work in last December to talk to two florists and most importantly to get quotes. I was floored. I just wanted flowers for my attendants myself and bouts and corsages for the moms and dads. The quotes came in at around $1000 dollars. Discouraged I interviewed a third full service florist as well as a florist that provides flowers and supervision/instruction while the brides and bridesmaids did all of the work arranging. Even with the “guided DIY” florist the flowers were still well over by $500 budget.
I finally gave up and decided I would be my own florist. After researching wholesale florists locally and online I was able to purchase flowers for my entire wedding for $230! Even with all of the supplies my total still came in under $300. That includes my bouquet, bouquets for five bridesmaids, bouts for the groom and groomsmen, fathers and grandfathers, and mini bouquets for the moms and grandmas. That’s right three-zero-zero. That’s all! I did take a lot of work but I have to say I couldn’t have been happier with the results. I wish I would have taken more pictures during the construction phase…
But here they are on the big day.
I chose bright colors that would pop against the black bridesmaids’ dresses. My original inspiration bouquet included lots of tropical flowers. Once I saw how much those cost I opted for more roses and carnations in similar colors, and used tropical flowers sparingly. Also my research told me that roses and carns are easy to keep fresh.
By the way one florist quoted the split leaf philodendron at $5.00 a leaf. I spotted a split leaf philodendron plant at the green house on sale for $10.00, and yes it had more than two leaves, so I purchased it. Well him. My husband and I named him Phil. He’s still around the house… Here is a close up of Phil’s leaf; it’s the big one on the bottom.
The roses are voodoo (orange) and hot princess (pink) varieties. The green berries are hypernicum and the bouquet is surrounded by orange carnations. I think I found out where the voodoo rose got its name. They have thorns. Lots of them! I think their thorns even had thorns. I stripped the thorns off of all of the roses by running my hand down the stems with leather gloves on. I tried a thorn stripper but it just mangled the stems. Anyway, the voodoo roses were a little more fragile than the princess roses but they still held up well.
This was the recipe:
3 Voodoo Roses
3 Hot Princess Roses
3 Sprigs of Hypernicum Berries (AKA St. Johns Wort)
15 Orange Carnations
1 leaf from Phil.
My mom and I wrapped together the stems of a rose of each color and a sprig of berries using green floral tape. Then I arranged the bunches and wrapped those stems together. Once that was done I started adding the carnations around the edge 3 or 4 at a time. Wrapping with floral tape as I went. Finally I added Phil. I had to wire the philodendron leaf and stem for extra support. The first time I tried to attach the leaf it snapped right off of the stem. The finished product was around 8″ in diameter.
The day of the wedding I had each bridesmaid wrap the bouquets with 1.5 yards of black ribbon, which they secured with a couple of corsage pins.