- 6 years ago
- Wedding: January 2013
I finally completed my first set of DIY projects! 🙂 I made my brooch bouquet and all three of my bridesmaids one as well. I am going to post them seperate since they were so different. 🙂
I went to Micheals and got a 4″ half circle and the smallest cone shape they had in their styrofoam section. I also picked up some styrofoam glue and two different kinds of ribbon, some burgundy on the skinnier side and some black thick wire edged ribbon. I also picked up some corsage pins with a pearl head.
I already had some burgundy spray paint from another one of my projects. I sprayed all of the styrofoam pieces with the burgundy paint and let it dry for about 15 mins. I them took the half circle and glued it to the cone piece. My next step was to take my trusty glue gun and started glueing my brooches, earrings and trinkets on. I didn’t want any fabric flowers in my bouquets so it became a matter of trying to piece it together as closely as I could.
Once I got all the pieces glued on I took my black ribbon and glued one end down to the styrofoam underneath the half circle and made”loops” in it as I glued it down. I then took the burbundy ribbon and cut one piece at a time, just big enough to wrap the cone/handle and glued it down. I did this until the whole thing was covered (I found that doing it in one long piece didn’t wrap tight all the way around). I then took a longer piece of the burgundy ribbon and glued it length wise over the edges of where the ribbon was meeting. I took some pins and pushed them into the handle for that added decorative touch.
Each bouquet has an average of 20 or so brooches, clip on earrings, pins and pendants on it. I used some jewel stickers and hot glued them into some of the smaller spaces to help cover the spots that were obvious that it was painted.
There are three different bouquets and they all turned out just as I hoped they would. The flash picks up on the painted spots underneath but in person you really don’t notice it. It blends very well. I might suggest painting them black for someone else trying to do this as well.
If you can stand the smell of it (I couldn’t) e6000 might work to hold everything on a bit better. I have had to reglue just two or three of them and have just put them up so I don’t accidentally knock them about.
Let me know what you ladies think. 🙂 I will be posting about my bouquet tomorrow.