Wow, thanks for all the input! Looks like option number one is the winner 🙂
@blueberrygirl, thanks for the extra “teacher” advice. I really appreciate it! I would LOVE to add the “bling” from the envelope slot around the bottom of each box, but since those are all glued on individually, I’m not sure I have the time for that one….But I do have time to play around with some of the extra “flowers” you suggested, so thanks! I’ll post a final picture later when it’s actually done!
The box was fairly easy to make. I ordered the 3 pack of cardboard boxes from Joann Fabrics. With my coupon that I found (just by doing a Goolge search) I think my total for the boxes about $7. The white ribbon is from the dollar ribbon roll at Walmart, and the black ribbon is from a 47 cent roll, also from Walmart.
First I just used the lid of the middle box to draw an outline on the lid of the bottom box and cut it out. I did the same for the other boxes, also cutting out the bottoms (but leaving about an inch remaining so that I would be able to glue them together). Those cuts didn’t have to be straight since they wouldn’t be seen, so I just did it with a steak knife. For the envelope slit, my fiance cut that out with one of his tools, to make it really straight, but I”m sure an exacto knife will do the trick. That was the most difficult part, since it would be seen by everyone, and therefore had to be straight and centered.
After they were all cut, I just used cheap black spray paint (it took 2 cans that were both under a dollar each), and srayed quite a few layers of paint on each of the boxes, letting them dry between layers. Once it was dark enough, I used Kryon (I think that’s the brand) Metallic finish black spray paint as a top coat. I did 2-3 layers of that on each box. It’s hard to see in the picture, but it gave it a much more finished look than just the cheap spray paint. I think that was about $5 or $6 at Hobby Lobby.
Once all the paint layers were dry, I used a tape runner to tape on the ribbon. It did pop off a few times overnight, so I ended up using Gorilla Glue on the back to keep it in place. I had a bit of a struggle finding a glue or tape that would hold the boxes together, but ended up using Gorilla Glue for that too. I put a bunch of heavy books on top of the boxes and let it sit overnight, and it it will not be coming apart anytime soon! Oh, and I also glued the lids to the top of the boxes too!
I needed a way to open the cardbox after the wedding, so the top box is actually just velcroed onto the middle box. That will give us an easy way to open the card box without ruining it after the wedding.
As for the flowers/bows, I followed this tutorial http://diy.weddingbee.com/topic/how-to-make-square-bows but ended up using thinner ribbon (the same white ribbon that is around each box), so I used 3 “petals” instead of the 2 that are shown in the tutorial.
The “CARDS” letters are just wooden letters sold at Hobby Lobby that I painted pink to match our wedding colors, and added a little bling that I had in my scrapbooking collection. At the last minute I decided to add some bling to the envelope slit, to jazz it up a bit more.
I guess that’s it for how I made it. Thanks again for all the advice!