- 6 years ago
- Wedding: November 2011
This is my DIY for my hair flower fascinators that look like this:
So, I knew that I wanted flowers for my hair — but I knew I wanted them to be fairly small and that I wanted more than one. So, why not make two?
First of all, I had to find a fabric flower I liked. After searching in the floral section at Michaels, I gave up. But as I was leaving I noticed some flowers in the scrapbooking section. I bought a set of two flowers that are used to decorate a scrapbook cover that were STICKERS! I also bought a box of 12 Alligator clips.
My dress is ivory, so I tea-stained my flowers with one cup of hot jasmine tea for 30 minutes. Note, this jasmine tea has a slightly red tone to it — I really should have used a regular Earl Grey. So please be careful about the teas you use, I personally wasnt concerned about the pink tone.
After they were tea stained, I pulled the flower apart.
I also cut out a piece of felt for my alligator clip.
Cut a slit in the felt to slip the alligator clip in.
Hot glue the top of the alligator clip to the piece of felt.
Now, I wanted to have lace for my fascinator, so I took out two of the flower sections and traced them to paper. After I traced them to paper I cut them out and pinned it to pieces of lace and cut out the shape of the flower section. Note: the reason why I pinned the lace to the paper cut out instead of the flower section is because the paper hold still much better than the fabric flower section.
I then hot glued the flower sections layer by layer starting with the bottom piece which I hotglued to the alligator clip.
I decided after I made the first one that it needed a little more lace so I glued a circle of lace to the back of the rhinestone button.
And I love how they turned out. I am especially happy about reusing the scraps of lace leftover from my wedding dress alterations. So, it really matches and makes it all the more special…
I spent $7.56 at Michaels for the flower stickers and alligator clips.
I spent $0.19 for the felt at Joann fabrics.
In total, I spent $7.74 and an hour of my time (including the 30 minutes to tea stain the flowers)!