- 6 years ago
- Wedding: February 2013
First, a little back story and then I promise the photos will come!
Even before we got engaged, Mr Hugz and I had decided our dream wedding would be at centre ice on a hockey rink. Can you tell where we live? Canada, eh? So naturally, after we got engaged I began trying to figure out how to accomplish that. Turns out it was going to be more work than it was worth and so Mr Hugz promised to take engagement photos that incorporated skating and hockey.
Naturally, I began thinking of all the great things we could do. Of course we’d be on an outdoor rink skating and holding hands and being our wonderfully cute selves. But why stop there? Why not figure out how to use those photos for the save the dates? I then had custom jerseys made for us. Mine was white and said Bride, and Mr Hugz wore a black jersey that said….you guessed it, Groom. Our numbers were 02 (February) and 09 (the 9th) to reflect our wedding date. The writing of my jersey was in pink to tie in all of our colours, and while I wish the pink had been darker and stood out more, you can’t have perfection all the time. I also wanted them to be snowy and wonderful outdoorsy photos but with this mild Canadian winter, we didn’t get the chance.
Anyway, we got the photos back, I photoshop’ed them up and sent them off to the printer! After I sent them, I realized I wasn’t overly thrilled with the plain, boring envelopes we had chosen. I know the save the dates are informal compared to the invitations, but I just couldn’t bare to send them….well….bare. So, I began thinking up ideas on how to make the envelopes look nicer. I found a great way to do it too, heat embossing. I found a wonderful stamp of a bride and groom and used it to heat emboss the image onto the envelopes. After 2 samples I realized it was perfect, and just what I was looking for. But then it dawned on me. We have 270 guests. That’s 137 save the dates. That’s 137 envelopes to individually heat emboss this stamp of a bride and groom onto. But, it was already too late. I had made a sample and fallen in love. The next problem was what colour to choose. Since I couldn’t pick between black and pink, I decided to alternate colours. Why make a decision when I can just choose both? It’s already a big weekend project, why not make it a little more complicated?
It didn’t end up taking as long as I assumed it would. I got really quick at stamping, apply the embossing powder, and using my heat tool so it seemed to be a fast couple of hours. Needless to say, I am so proud of them. I think they look great, and they add that extra flair that I felt was missing before the embossing!
I showed my family the finished product and none of them could tell I did the bride and groom stamping myself. They all thought I bought the envelopes that way. I don’t know whether to be proud of that fact or to cry my eyes out. I think it’s great that they look like they were bought, but at the same time no one will realize how much individual attention they got. Anyway, it’s a done deal now whether the guests notice or not! They may go in the garbage, but I feel proud to hand them over to the post office!
With that said, here they are. I’d love to hear your thoughts/comments on the magnets and/or envelopes!
Close up of embossing: