- 4 years ago
This is my first share on Weddingbee, but I figure since I got a lot of inspiration here I should give back. Unfortunately I didn’t take after photos or “in progress” photos, but this is my final product cake box for our reception. I wrote about what I did below – sorry it’s long but I’m trying to covery all the bases for anyone who is curious as to what I did.
I used the following supplies:
Hatboxes – from Michael’s (came in a set of 5 and I used the largest 3)
Paint – Martha Stewart “Wedding Cake” in the acrylic
Ribbon – Cobalt ribbon from Joann’s (bought by the yard)
Flowers – some from Hobby Lobby, a majority from Dollar Store
Rhinestones – David Tutera Bling on a Roll (super useful for SO much stuff!)
Pins in flowers – from Hobby Lobby
Styrofoam ball for topper – Michael’s
What I did: First I used a tape measure to figure out what size I wanted the slot and placement. Then I had my future husband use an Xacto knift to cut the hole. I didn’t worry too much about it being perfect because the Bling on a Roll covered any slightly crooked lines.
I cut out the bottom of the 2nd box and cut a hole in the lid of the bottom box.
I used white spraypaint as a primer (just a quick light coat). I then painted with the Martha Stewart paint. I used a hairdryer to help dry the paint faster! I didn’t bother painting the inside because no one will look. Later I did paint the back of the second box inside because if you look through the slot dead on you could see the brown and that bugged me, especially in photos.
I wrapped the ribbon around the lid of each box, and used a small dot of hot glue to secure it.
Then I played around with the bling on a roll – a LOT. The top tier draping was TOTALLY on accident. I had a single strand cut out and was trying to pull it tight. I used painter’s tape to hold the rhinestone bands on as I experimented so I could see what it looked like. The top tier didn’t hold, and the single strand draped. I loved it so much I used hot glue in a couple spots (because gluing it all the way around would’ve lost that fluid look) and then added 2 more drapes. I didn’t worry about the draping meeting up together because I placed flowers in the empty space.
For the border around the opening I cut out the center 2 rows of a strip of bling on a roll and used that as the border. It’s GREAT to work with – did I mention how much I love this bling on a roll?!
For the topper I cut a very small portion of a round Styrofoam ball off, and shaved it down to give the bottom a flat base. I used Styrofoam glue to adhere it to the top lid of the top box. I also used low temp hot glue for the styrofoam on the sides so I don’t think you can go wrong either way. I would not use a hot temp glue though!
I then used floral cutters to cut the stems off the fake flowers I bought. Then, I just played around with placement until I found what I liked. AFTER I was satisfied with the topper, I glued it on. Then I started on the side cascade of flowers. For this I used a sheet of leftover Styrofoam from another wedding project. I cut small squares and glued them to the side of my box. Then I used flowers to fill in the piece of foam, added another square where i wanted the flowers to flow, and continued on down.
After all that was done, I went back and added in the blingy picks you see throughout the flowers. They are little floral accents I found at Hobby Lobby in the wedding aisle. The wire is pretty flimsy so I twisted it on itself to reinforce it, and used an old flower stem (without a flower on it, to push holes in the Styrofoam where i wanted to insert the pins. I then put a small dot of hot glue on the bottom of the pin and got it in the hole I’d created. The glue just adds some extra stability – some of them didn’t even need the glue to be honest.
After I did that I went back and filled in any spaces with flowers. This includes the BACK of the cascade! I thought it was filled in enough, but it sure wasn’t. You honestly can’t pack the flowers in too much I don’t think.
Once all that was done, I removed the lids on the top two tiers, ran some hot glue on the box, and replaced the lid. Don’t adher the glue to the lid – it doesn’t work as well! Some got on my ribbon and I had to work to fix it. Thankfully it didn’t leave any permanent damage. Be careful you realign the cascade correctly when you put the lid back on. I opted to do this LAST in the event that my cascade was not flowing right, I could adjust the boxes and lids slightly to get the flow I wanted.
Also, obviously don’t adhere glue to the bottom lid otherwise you can’t get your cards out!!
This project took me a good solid day to do once I got all my supplies rounded up. (8 hours). I highly recommend using painter’s tape to play around with the placement of your cascade before you glue anything down. I didn’t plan the whole flow out down to the last flower, but mostly did it to figure out where I would be applying styrofoam.
Let me know what you think! If you have any other questions I would be happy to answer them as best I can, and I have more photos if you want to see something up close or whatever. Also, after my wedding in May I will be looking to sell so if anyone local is interested let me know (I am in Sacramento, CA).