- Sady Jane
- 7 years ago
- Wedding: May 2011
Link to the Word file with the names I printed as a template/guide:
EDIT: I put some extra information that I left in comments right at the bottom of the post so you don’t have to go sorting through the comments.
I made wire name hangers for myself, my BM, FG, and our mothers.
Materials: 18 guage wire (which I bought 110 feet for $4-5 at Lowe’s), wooden hangers (5 for $4.24 at Walmart), wire cutters, needle nose pliers (it’s helpful to have to pair at times), latex glove (my fingers got sore w/o it and when your hands are warm the wire runs through them easily too), and printed names template (I used the font Riddle and made the first letter lager than the rest to make it a continuous cursive, but still look capital)
I couldn’t work from the spool, so I cut about 6ft per name off the spool. I started the first letter about 10-14 inches in from the left end. Then I just bent the wire to match up to the printed name template. I didn’t like the K, so I formed that on my own though. Then I wrapped both ends around the hanger.
Making the letter template:
The first letter is 225, and the other letters are 110. I found the font “Riddle” here
What you downloaded should look like a stack of books called a zip file. Double click the books. Click the button at the top “extract to.” I always extract it to my desktop, but if you can navigate to your fonts file from there extract it to there. If you extract it to your desktop, go to start, and click control panel. Then find your fonts folder. Then move the file called “riddle” that you put on your desktop into this folder. A little “installing” window should pop up briefly. Then you should be good to go. Just open Word, and Riddle should show up in your font list.
Attaching the wire to the hanger with a drill instead of wrapping the ends around the hanger:
I used a drill bit just bigger than the wire, lined up my drill under the divot in the hanger for the straps, and drilled straight through from the bottom. Then I bent the wire to where it would need to be to sit straight, and cut off the excess wire so that it would go about half way through the holes. Then I stuck some hot glue (get the gun really hot before you start) in the base of the hole, and stuck the wire in.
I don’t have a picture of mine after I did this, but I do have one I made for someone else:
The hole goes straight upward even though it looks like it goes in from the side.